Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Helena's First Drawing of a Daddy, Plus Added Thoughts and a Photo


During a romp through an old scrapbook that I had forgotten even existed, I found this picture. When the kids were little I encouraged them to draw, and I made a habit of writing on the pictures what the kids said about them. This one was labeled "Helena's first drawing of a daddy," so I'm sure that's what she said about it. She did it all by herself. It shows a smiling face, and two arms and two legs, which is a typical style for a young child, but this is pretty remarkable for just barely two years of age. It's kinda cute.

It brings back memories of the spunky little two year old, with pony tails on top of her head, who was very excited about everything she did. She loved to tell me stories but couldn't stand still while she did it. She paced back and forth and jumped up and down while spinning tales about "Chickie," who was her favorite character from our big book by Richard Scarey. She really got into it, and her little pony tails jumped up and down as much as she did. It's an indelible memory etched upon my heart.

This picture was taken in November of 1973.
Helena was 2 years 9 months old,
Kirsten was 4 years 2 months. Jim and Kathey were both 31.

I also have a fond memory of a time when my parents came to visit. We went to Long John Silver's. (I don't think we've been there since). After we placed our order and sat down, Helena walked over to be sociable with the people at the next table. She took one look at their food and exclaimed "OH HOW WONDERFUL!" The ladies grinned at each other and said something like "Aren't you the precocious one!" When they asked her how old she was, she replied matter-of-factly "Two! I talk a lot!" as she bounced back to our table.

Wouldn't it be fun if just once in awhile our long-ago little tots could come back for a visit?--K

P.S. When I showed Helena's drawing to Betsey she said, "Are you sure you didn't help her? It looks just like daddy! (Gotta love it!)

2 comments:

Helena said...

What talent! :) That is just too cute.

Anonymous said...

Like Mother, like daughter. It sounds that Helena was a lot like Kate is now. Very cute! It would be fun to watch a young Helena and Kate playing together. :)