Sunday, January 13, 2008

Inducing Labor

Karen's baby is being induced tonight. Baby Elizabeth is doing fine, she’s just having too good a time staying put, so the doctor says it’s time to kick her out.

Some time ago I sent Karen some diagrams from the book Woman Heal Thyself about inducing labor. We used these points on Helena three years ago. She also was overdue.

I don’t remember a lot of detail but it seems to me that we massaged Helena’s ankle and leg points off and on Sunday evening. We also used a small roller on the acupressure points on her lower back. (The little roller, called a rollo, was ordered from Mildred Carter who deals in all things reflexology.) Barb also remembered that Helena massaged the points in the web of the hands between the thumb and index finger quite a bit. I think the last time we did any of that was about 9 p.m. Helena said that the roller on her back felt especially good.

She went into labor around 3:30 a.m., and called us about 5:00 a.m.. When we all arrived at the hospital and Helena was checked for the first time about 8:00 a.m., she was already dilated 8 cm. Kate was born at about 10:57 Monday morning. Not bad for a first baby!

Labor slowed down some after she was in the birthing room, or Kate probably would have been born sooner. Recently I looked up some acupressure points about keeping labor going, and I also remembered about having mom lie on the left side to help speed things along. That was done with me once when my labor seemed to stop progressing. The nurse said it was her special technique.

These things really seem to work. Do you know of other things that also help with labor? Please let me know.

If anyone wants the diagrams, please e-mail me, or leave a comment here including your e-mail address and I will send the information to you. --K

No comments: