Friday, February 8, 2008

And Let Your Soul Delight in Fatness

I have a friend who is going through a severe trial--again. She commented how helpful it is to have the support of other people, because she feels terribly alone in what she's going through. I've pondered her situation--and wept for her, and prayed for her--and I remembered something. Some years ago, during a Relief Society lesson, a sister told of a realization she had during a time when she and her husband were having severe trials with one of their daughters. What came to her is that even though we may be going through something with another person, we really each face our trials alone. Even though she and her husband supported each other, and she was extremely grateful for that, the only way she achieved real solace was through prayer--deep heart-felt, gut-wrenching, down-on-your-knees prayer.

Tremendous comfort can also be ours through the scriptures. I realized that some years ago, but I had to do it in my own way. I have a short attention span. (I also told my kids that I have been blessed with a short memory, so I tend to take good notes to compensate.) In 1995 I received what I know was a personal revelation. I was even told what store to go to! I knew there was something important for me at Office Max. I went down there with no clue as to what I was looking for, but I had a feeling that I would know when I found it.

I made my way slowly down the first aisle, looking to the right--and there it was. What practically jumped off the shelf at me was a Gold Fibre Designer Project Planner, 9 1/2 in. by 7 1/2 in. No. 20-817. Huh? And what am I to do with this?

I don't remember now if it came to me in the store what I was to do with it, or if I figured that out later, but I went home with my new-found treasure. Over the next few years three others came to join it.


This sample page is out of my scripture notebook #2. I chose this page because it not only contains scriptures, but it shows a few quotes as well. Over time I came to include both. These little books turned out to be ideal for me because:

  • There is a place at the top center of the page to write the
    topic or topics.
  • To the right is the page number, followed by
  • The date that page was started
  • To the left is a column where I can write comments.
  • There is also lots of space in which to record scriptures
    and quotes.
If a topic has lots of entries, they are continued on the back. Sometimes there are so many that it's necessary to start a new page. When that happens I just start it on the next empty page, and put a "see also" not only on the new page, but also on the original one.

The topic of the page shown above is Forgiveness/Repentance. It is page 102 and was started 1 Jan 1996. It says:

1. Forgiveness! What a wonderful way to start a new year.
See "Unexpected visitation" in Topics--Forgiveness.
[Note: Not only do I have scripture notebooks, I also have
a whole section of topics on the computer that I add to
over time. I really enjoy synthesizing information.]

2. Matt 6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses,
your Heavenly Father will also forgive you.

3. Psalm 32:5 I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and
mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my
transgressions unto the Lord; and Thou forgavest the
iniquity of my sin.

4. Heard on the radio "Perhaps I can't forget, but I
can choose to not remember."

5. "Forgiveness means to write it off. Let it go. Tear up
the account. It is to render the account cancelled."
(Boundaries, by Cloud & Townsend)

6. 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just
to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all
unrighteousness.

7. Mosiah 26:30…As often as my people repent will I
forgive them their trespasses against me.

8. Moroni 6:8 …As oft as they repented and sought
forgiveness, with real intent, they were forgiven.

Please note: Originally I made colored index tabs and put them at the top of the pages. Over time I stopped using them in favor of a typed, cross-reference index which makes it a lot easier to find things. Also, I regret that I usually have not included dates on the individual entries.

I have found it to be great fun to read from the top down and see how well the entries fit together even though they are from different sources at different times.

I'd like to close with a few entries from page 134 the topic of which is Read the Scriptures:

For the Lord giveth wisdom: Out of His mouth cometh
knowledge and understanding. (Prov. 2:6)

…Hearken diligently unto me, and remember the
words which I have spoken; and come unto the Holy
One of Israel, and feast upon that which perisheth
not, neither can be corrupted, and let your soul
delight in fatness. (2 Nephi 9:51)

I love the metaphor of a fat soul. How comforting that sounds! (I know there are also several scriptures that refer to fat bones. Fat bones sounds to me like a possible remedy for osteoporosis!)

Jim commented that "You can never get too much of the word of God." He also said, "Getting fat on the word of God does not give you cholesterol problems!" (I like that!)

Dr. David Jeremiah once said "If we feast on food we lose our appetite after awhile, but if we feast on the word of God, we get hungrier for more." (Turning Point radio program.)

1 comment:

Mamapierce said...

Thank you for your post. I needed to read it. And thanks for thinking about me and trying to help me. You're wonderful. :o)