Friday, April 11, 2008

THE SARCOID ADVENTURE-Part 2-THE DEFINITION

WHAT IS SARCOID ANYWAY?

Sarcoid is "An inflammatory disease marked by the formation of granulomas (small nodules of immune cells) in the lungs, lymph nodes, and other organs. Sarcoid may be acute and go away by itself, or it may be chronic and progressive. Also called sarcoidosis." (I forgot to write down the source.)

There are quite a few articles about sarcoid, or sarcoidosis on the web. I'll enclose part of one. The rest of the article, which is quite interesting, may be found HERE
What is Sarcoidosis? Sarcoidosis (pronounced SAR-COY-DOE-SIS) is an inflammatory disease that can affect almost any organ in the body. It causes heightened immunity, which means that a person’s immune system, which normally protects the body from infection and disease, overreacts, resulting in damage to the body’s own tissues. The classic feature of sarcoidosis is the formation of granulomas, microscopic clumps of inflammatory cells that group together (and look like granules, hence the name). When too many of these clumps form in an organ they can interfere with how that organ functions.

In people in the United States, sarcoidosis most commonly targets the lungs and lymph nodes, but the disease can and usually does affect other organs, too, including (but not limited to) the skin, eyes, liver, salivary glands, sinuses, kidneys, heart, the muscles and bones, and the brain and nervous system.

What Causes Sarcoidosis? No one knows exactly what causes sarcoidosis, but it is probably due to a combination of factors. Some research suggests that bacteria, viruses or chemicals might trigger the disease. Although such triggers might not bother most people, it is possible that in someone with the right genetic predisposition they provoke the immune system to develop the inflammation associated with sarcoidosis.

The fact that a person is more likely to develop the disease if someone in his or her close family has the disease strongly suggests that genetics plays a role. Researchers have not discovered the genes for sarcoidosis yet, but it seems likely that more than one gene is involved.…
Two others in my extended family also have it, but their symptoms are not as severe. What are my symptoms? Mainly I'm short of breath especially on exertion, and frequently just have NO energy. I first noticed the problem in a swimming class my freshman year at the University of Illinois. I could barely make it across the width of the pool! I remember coming out of the water gasping for breath with my chest in great pain. Up until then I hadn't been a fantastic swimmer, but I'd never experienced anything like that before! Outside of that it really didn't bother me, and I continued to function well for quite a few years.

Now if I need to walk more than a few feet outside the house I use a wheel chair. Climbing stairs is about impossible. To show how limiting this condition is for me, I love to garden, but I haven't been able to do any lately. We have a lovely Square-Foot Garden in our back yard. Last summer I made it out there only 3 times. It was too far for me to walk, and coming back to the house is up a slight hill which made it even harder. I just couldn't do it. While the kids were growing up it got so that I couldn't go on family hikes or play badminton out in the yard. I regret that I was unable to take them to the park or other fun places. (Instead we read a lot and did artsy-crafty things.) We couldn't plan things in advance because I never knew how I would be feeling. Also, Jim has had to do the grocery shopping for years. Anyway--those are examples of what our family has been dealing with all these years.

PLEASE SCROLL DOWN FOR PART 3…

No comments: