Sunday, May 4, 2008

Wonderful Conference

Slowly but surely I'm starting to catch up. A week ago we had stake conference, the theme of which was "Coming to Christ." Our family sat in the front row so we could soak it all in. The Sunday morning session opened with a prelude by the choir of "He Shall Wipe Away All Tears," which was outstanding. My friend Jill sang a solo. I don't know if it was because of where we were sitting, or if the Spirit was just so strong, but during the opening hymn, "Redeemer of Israel," I sat there and cried buckets. It was that powerful. After the first couple of words, I couldn't sing again until several verses had gone by. (Whoever invented Kleenex did a good thing.) It was really neat.

Looking back over my notes there is so much I could say, but I think at this time I just want to capture a small, but very important, part: "Singing with children about Jesus before naps and before bed is a profound way to help them come unto Christ." I cannot think of a nicer way to fall asleep!

Our intermediate hymn captured the theme beautifully:

I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus
by Janice Kapp Perry

I'm trying to be like Jesus:
I'm following in his ways.
I'm trying to love as he did, in all that I do and say.
At times I am tempted to make a wrong choice.
But I try to listen as the still small voice whispers,

"Love one another as Jesus loves you.
Try to show kindness in all that you do.
Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought,
For these are the things Jesus taught."

I'm trying to love my neighbor;
I'm learning to serve my friends.
I watch for the day of gladness when Jesus will come again.
I try to remember the lessons he taught.
Then the Holy Spirit enters into my thoughts, saying:

"Love one another as Jesus loves you.
Try to show kindness in all that you do.
Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought,
For these are the things Jesus taught."
What a wonderful way to fall asleep, or to start the day, or to refresh ourselves during the day.

A few other thoughts expressed were:

Mothers more than anyone portray the love of the Savior.
Prophets were first taught by their mothers.…

Fathers having monthly interviews with their children is a wonderful way to connect with them, and to help them to come unto Christ.…

One of the greatest attributes of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ is forgiveness.…

Much more could be said, but that will suffice for now.

Love, Kathey

1 comment:

Mamapierce said...

Yes, it was a wonderful conference, wasn't it? :o)