Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Betsey's Baby and Chieka Too

The quality of the following video isn't all that great, but it's not bad for a camera phone. Betsey took the first part about Angie by herself about two years ago. The last part, with Chieka, was two days ago.



Chieka is our friendly neighborhood Doberman Pinscher. She and her "Mommy and Daddy" Jackie and Mike, live at the other end of the block from us. Chieka and Angie have been good friends for years--just as long as there is a fence between them. In their younger days, Chieka used to always come calling for Angie whenever she was out walking with her family. She is very obedient, so they never need a leash to walk her. When she gets near our house she runs ahead and stands by the fence and barks for Angie to come out and play. If we hear Chieka out there, we let Angie out and they run the fence.

They have such a great time as long as the fence is there. If they both happen to be out walking in the neighborhood at the same time, however, they completely ignore each other. I thought Mike's comment was priceless when he said, "I never will understand Dog Snobbery!"

Running the fence happens only rarely now because both doggies are getting older, so I'm really glad Betsey was able to record it. Cheika is 13 and Angie is 14. We hope they will both be around for quite awhile yet.

4 comments:

Karen Ahlstrom said...

When I played the video with Elizabeth in my lap, she started crying -- and really got upset when the dogs barked while they were running the fence. I hope she and Angie get along together next week!

Kathey said...

I've been thinking about Elizabeth and Angie also. As much as we love Angie, we definitely do not want Elizabeth to be traumatized in any way. We can make sure they are kept apart. When Kate was tiny and visited, we kept Angie in the bathroom. The last time they were here, and Kate was bigger, we allowed Angie to be out, but we kept a VERY close watch on her.

Love, Kathey

Helena said...

Awww, cute!

I'd probably just keep Angie away from Elizabeth. She doesn't like kids.

Anonymous said...

We have dogs in our neighborhood who like to bark at us when we go on walks. There's a little schnauzer that reminds me of Susie, even though her/his bark isn't so low-pitched and raspy. Kyle wants a dog, and so do I, so I hope we can do that before too long.

I miss Angie. I didn't realize she is quite that old!