Monday, November 24, 2008

The Wimp Won

I forgot to post about the outcome of my desire to delay turning on the heat in the house. On October 20 I wrote "Confessions of a Stubborn Wimp." I was determined to tough it out and not turn on the furnace until at least November 1. Well, I must confess that I didn't make it that far. I didn't even make it to Halloween. In fact I just plain gave up on October 23. Only 3 days after I fiercely declared war, my fierce determination froze out.

Here's what I wrote in my journal that day: "I finally wimped out and turned on the heat. It was between 66 and 69 today in here. I was cold and so was Betsey. We each had times that day of sitting on our hands to try to warm them up. It wasn’t worth it. I just couldn’t function very well. About 5:00 the house wasn’t any warmer than it had been during the day, so I turned on the heat and set it at 71º. It feels so good in here." (OK, so I have a really narrow comfort zone.)

I had been curious to see how cold it really got in here during that time, so I asked Jim to buy a cheap thermometer. (Emphasis on cheap.) The one he got cost $1.00 and worked about as well as you'd expect. It seemed to register the same temperature if it was on our kitchen table or in the refrigerator. I guess that could mean our house was really cold, or the refrigerator wasn't working, or the thermometer was in a state of hibernation and wouldn't register any changes until spring.

Anyway, I've been warm ever since--Thank you very much! ^o^

2 comments:

Debbie's said...

I LOVE your blog! The pictures of your young family are so special! Good for you embracing the blogging world :)

Unknown said...

Well, I must confess, if our house gets to 72 we are all freezing. I did manage to hold out on the heat till after Nov 1st, then had to go back to AC for a bit. My house is heated to a very comfortable 74. Of course being in Florida has made us less tolerate of cold, but it also makes it cheaper to heat the house to 74.