Thursday, February 28, 2008

What Will You Do To Celebrate February 29th?

Tomorrow is the 29th of February. We're being given an extra day this year that comes around only once every four years. Rather than just letting it pass as another day in a routine week, I decided that we should do something to celebrate it. I’d like to go to a restaurant we haven’t been to around here, and possibly rent a video. What video should we rent? Barbie and Kyle recently saw Enchanted at the dollar theater and loved it. They said we’d really enjoy it. I wonder if it's out on video yet?

Going to a restaurant and renting a video isn’t anything spectacular but it ought to be fun, and we don't do it very often. It’s the wrong time of the year to go to the zoo or something like that. Even though I would love to go bowling, I haven't done that in years, and I don't think I could stand the smoke that is usually associated with bowling alleys.

My mom and I used to watch bowling on TV and really enjoyed it. I remember that Don Carter was a favorite. Right now I don't remember any of the others. When I was in jr. high or high school, I was on a bowling team in a league for teenagers that met on Saturdays, and I loved it! (I know I have a picture of the team around here somewhere, but I haven’t found it yet. I do remember that my top score was 192. I don’t remember my average.) We called ourselves The Deadbeats. Yes, that's an odd name for a bowling team, but there was a reason for that.

There was a TV show that was very popular with teens back then. (My guess would be between 1957 and 1959) It was on fairly late at night, probably on a Friday or Saturday. I hope that the name of it and more details will come back to me but all I can remember right now is that it was spooky in a hokey sort of way, and we kids loved it. The host was a guy who dressed like a vampire, and every once in awhile there would be a flash of lightening on the screen. The lightning was very distinctive, and even today I’ve seen that same flash used quite often when such a thing is required on TV. Sometimes I’ve even said to myself “That’s the lightning from–––––––“ and I’ve said the name of the show, so I know it’s in my brain somewhere. (Help, does anyone know? I tried calling my brother to ask if he remembered, but he wasn’t home.)

Anyway, to make a short story long—on this TV show was a musical group that was funny. I remember that one time they sang “I Ain’t Got No Body” and appeared as a group of singing, heads that kind of bounced around as they sang. The name of the group was The Deadbeats. It was a fun group, so we decided to name our team after them. At the time I couldn’t imagine why the manager of the league thought that was a terrible label to put on our team. It wasn’t until later that I learned that a deadbeat was someone who didn’t pay his bills, but hey, for us it had a much different connotation.

Isn’t it interesting that we can start out writing about a subject and something will trigger memories that cause the subject to go in a completely different direction? I just decided to let it flow and see where it would take me. It’s been fun.

3 comments:

Mamapierce said...

Tyler & I just rented and watched FACING THE GIANTS. I would highly recommend it to you. We enjoyed it.

Are you able to bowl on-base? There's no smoke there. We once went to a bowling alley in OK that had special accomodations for those in wheelchairs to bowl - they had a ramp where you could push the ball down which proceeded down the bowling lane...I wonder if they would have something similar here in OH?

Helena said...

We'll have to do something. We could go outside and jump around a bit and say it's for Leap Day.

You might be able to find a smoke-free bowling alley. Doug went to an Irish music session at a place downtown that's smoke free. That was a nice surprise. In St. John's when he'd take his fiddle down to George Street he always came home reeking of smoke. Ick.

The word verification says "hzfac," which is almost the name of a building at BYU.

Anonymous said...

Kittyhawk lanes does have a wheelchair ramp--we used it for CHAP camp all the time. You could put the bumpers up and see who can get the lowest score--golf bowling!

Hardly anyone said anything about it being leap day today at school. Too bad.

We will be getting together with another couple from our ward tonight. I hope I stay awake--usually I'm worthless by the time Friday night comes around.