Friday, March 21, 2008

Creating Happiness

The pages I read in my scripture/quotes notebook today were all about happiness. I thought it would be fun to share some of the thoughts expressed. It's fun to read through them and see how they relate to each other.

He That handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and who trusteth in the Lord, happy is he. (Proverbs 16:20)

Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding. (Proverbs 3:13)

We act according to our principles, not according to our moods, and then our moods go away. (Dr. Dean Black in The Frogship Perspective)

If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them. (John 13:17)

It's the doing that makes us feel good. (Ellen Kreidman in You Deserve to be Happy)

On January 2, 1997 I wrote: "I just realized that I can recognize happiness through unhappiness. I knew that I was not happy with a dirty house or a cluttered kitchen. I knew I was not happy if meals weren't cooked. What I hadn't put together was that I could create my own happiness by doing these things. Just as John 13:17 says 'If ye know these things, happy are ye if he do them.'"

It sounds like a merry heart is a good cure for osteoporosis:

A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance, but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken. (Proverbs 15:13)

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones. (Proverbs 17:22)

I especially like:

Happy is he that condemneth not himself. (Romans 14:22)

For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he. (Proverbs 23:7)

And going along with the idea that we are as we think, an article that I read this morning suggests that we help ourselves remember the good decisions that we make, by writing them down in a journal. There is a scripture that says: By small and simple things are great things brought to pass. (Alma 37:6) Here's a small thing we can do that can bring big results. It's too easy to remember the mistakes we made and the things we should have done but didn't. Remembering the good decisions that we made will help us to know that we have the ability to make more good ones. And "as you relive your positive moments, you get a boost in feeling good serotonin and endorphins, instead of the heart-hurting cortisol that comes on when you tense up over your frustrations." (Sharon Naylor, "Be Your Own Inspiration," Positive Thinking, Nov/Dec 2006, p. 11)

Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. (John 8:32)

--K

No comments: