Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Turkey/Papaya Salad, and Foggy Spiderwebs

In order to clear up any confusion I want to say that I'm actually writing most of this on Saturday, April 26. I noticed that blogger dated this post on the 22nd. That was because I posted the pictures as a draft that day.

We had a turkey roast for dinner last Sunday. It was entirely white meat. I am not a fan of white meat turkey, but the turkey roast was OK. There was a problem though about what to do with the left overs. My doctor wants me to eat turkey. Papayas and avocados are also on the recommended list, so I had the idea of mixing them together in a salad. Walnuts are on the list too, so I threw in some of those. It actually tasted really good. I ate it for breakfast. Here's what it looked like. Looks good enough to eat. Wanna bite?

Turkey/Papaya Salad
About 1 c left-over turkey cut in bite size pieces
1 small, ripe papaya (more would have been nice.)
1/2 avocado
1/4 c (about) walnut pieces
I had another chunk of turkey roast left over, so I made the salad again the next day. That time it didn't taste as good, and I figured out that it was because the papaya wasn't as ripe.

* * * * * * * *
Tuesday was so foggy that some of the schools were on a two-hour delay. I noticed it was foggy, but I didn't think to try to take a picture of the fog. I did notice that there were lots of small spider webs in our bushes that were covered with tiny water droplets.

By the time I remembered to go outside with my camera, the fog was gone, but the spiderwebs were still there. Can you see them in the bushes to the right?
They Show up a little bit better here.
This is a nice close-up view.
And here are a few more. The spiderwebs are actually there all the time, but they usually just don't show up as much, so we don't notice them.

No, she's not a spider web or a papaya salad. This is Kate, one of our sweet granddaughters. I found this picture on my desk top and just thought I'd include it here. Perhaps her mom can tell us how old she is in this one.

2 comments:

Mamapierce said...

Are you able to eat dark turkey meat? I have a wonderful recipe for brining a turkey and that made the turkey meat taste delicious. :o)

There are so many spider webs!! Do they harm the plants?

Anonymous said...

That is a lot of spider webs. I remember having fun looking at the spiders sometimes--especially in late summer when they get really big and gross-looking. =)

I'm glad your salad was good, it sounds similar to something Rachael Ray would make.