Thursday, May 8, 2008

To Weather the Storm

My friend Susan Sandberg, shared this with me today:

I have a big planter by my front porch that my daughter Wendy filled with perennials last summer—spider grass, some plant that has big dark-purple leaves, a pretty little round-leafed bright green vine, and a whole bunch of teeny little ragged bright-lavender flowers, about the size of a nickel. And some other stuff too (you can tell I don’t know the names of many plants!). Well this terrible winter piled a huge mountain of snow and ice on top of the planter, where it stayed frozen like a big round popsicle.

I said to Wendy: “Well, that’s the end of THEM. They were pretty but nothing will live through this, I’m sure.” (They also got drowned).

She smiled and said “Mom, you’d be surprised. When you have what it takes to weather even the worst storm, you will always come back bright and beautiful. You wait and see.”

And sure enough, to my utter surprise, that planter (without being TOUCHED) is now full of blooms and plants and healthy vines. Looking at it always makes me blink and shake my head. What a great analogy to our lives here on this earth! And yes, we will all come back “bright and beautiful”…

No comments: