Friday, June 6, 2008

Acting As If

I know just about everyone is interested in getting ahead. I've read quite a few things over the years about "Acting AS IF," and for me it's a valuable principle, but one that's hard to practice.

I wrote in my journal about this type of thing last night. I've heard about the "Act as if" principle lots of times before. The thing that's really hard is acting as if you had the energy to do something. Here's what I wrote in my journal last night: "I looked again at Dr. Laura’s book Bad Childhood, Good Life. Page 223 has a testimonial from a listener to her program: 'I have finally begun to realize that you do not need to feel better before you behave better. As you have often said, Dr. Laura, Feelings follow appropriate behavior.'"

Going along with that, Dr. Dean Black in the Frogship Perspective, said “We act according to our principles, not according to our moods, and then our moods go away.”

What's hard for me is trying to do things, even though my energy is practically non existent. There have been times, that with sheer determination and not much else, I've gone ahead and started something even though I haven't had the energy and found that energy does start to build little by little. I've found that for me, getting up EARLY in the morning is a key to feeling better later on. Unfortunately it's easy to get away from that.

I will experiment with this more. I got up at 5:30 with Jim today, even though I didn't sleep well and didn't feel like getting up. It's hard when you wake up and your biggest ambition is to take a nap. ^_^

We'll see.

An article from Jack Canfield came this morning and I thought it might be helpful. (I do have permission to use it.) It's long, so I've just included it as a link, but has some very good stuff.

In the article Jack explains why taking action is important, why rejection doesn't exist, why gratitude is important, and much more. Enjoy! I have highlighted those things that are most meaningful to me. If you would like to read it please click here.

No comments: