Saturday, June 7, 2008

A Fond Memory, and A Spectacular Treat

Tonight we went to a going away party for Roger and Marci Greenwood and their family. They are leaving on Tuesday to move to Colorado after being here for five years. Roger will be teaching there. I have fond memories of their family. Marci and her family were always so kind to Kirsten, and invited her over when they could. Some years ago, on a moment's notice Marci even drove me to the hospital, and also kept Kirsten over night, when Barbie had an emergency appendectomy. I shall ever be grateful for her kindness, and her willingness to help.

Marci Greenwood and Kirsten
An Unexpected Treat

After we got home I walked out on the deck and saw something spectacular. It was one of those breathtaking scenes that’s gone in minutes, but when I saw it I, I knew I had to share. It was too lovely to keep to myself. Unfortunately it wasn't something I could take a picture of. I dashed in the house and called for Betsey and Jim to come and see too. (Kirsten was busy changing into her p.j.’s)

The sun was setting. There were bands of cirrus clouds in the sky and the sun was shining through them creating golden streaks. There were literally gold bands across the sky that reflected that bright light down into our back yard. Because the sky was darkening, it made the gold light show up even more. Everything was just bathed in it. Green trees and grass looked lush and brilliant, and reds were vibrant. White petunias had an inner glow.

I’ve never seen our little red shed look so pretty, and its white trim stood out as if it has been painted just this morning. The red geraniums in our containers looked as if some little flames of fire had come to rest there for just a moment.

Too soon the light vanished, but I’m so glad I got to soak in the experience even for a short time. How often do we fail to notice lovely things that could touch our spirit, and fill our bucket for another day? I suspect they are all around us if we take a minute to see them. I’m glad I happened to look when I did. ^.^

3 comments:

Helena said...

Sounds lovely!

That's a cute picture of Kirsten!

Mamapierce said...

Wow, they're going to Colorado - a family from our ward, the Croker's, are also going to be stationed there. How fun! :o)

Cute picture of Kirsten - she has a dynamite smile. :o)

Anonymous said...

Too bad they are leaving. She was such a sweetheart to Kirsten. I didn't remember that Kirsten stayed with her when I had my appendectomy. That was nice of her.

The sunset sounds amazing, I can almost picture it.