Thursday, June 26, 2008

Holy Cow!

This morning as we were having our after-the-alarm-goes-off cuddle time, Jim said "Happy day after our 42nd anniversary."

I exclaimed, "42 years and one day, Holy Cow!" (Meaning--how did the time fly so fast…)

Jim chuckled and said, "I don't know why I thought of this right now, but I used to have a cow named Holly, so she was Holly Cow!"

He went on to say that he never says Holy Cow, so he never thought of that before.

My mom used to say Holy Cow, so I picked it up from her. For me I guess it's another tradition. ^o^

Does anyone know the origin of "holy cow?" Interesting how different things get started.--K

3 comments:

Mamapierce said...

I always joke that it must have originated with the hindus in India - since they won't eat beef, because of religious reasons. "Holy cow" indeed! :o)

Helena said...

Yeah, I generally associate it with India. Apparently some people think it has to do with the Israelite's golden calf.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the holy cow came partly from the fact that cows are holy in parts of the world.....

I do know where the term berserk comes from....the Saxons used it to refer to someone who went crazy in the heat of battle.