Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Two Blinks and a Burn

We were in California last week for a reunion of our immediate family. All the kids and their families were there. This is what Helena has posted about it so far. It was so-o-o-o-o fun, but it was like I blinked and suddenly it was over.

Also, today is June 25, which means it's our wedding anniversary once again. This is our very forty-second anniversary, or as Betsey said, our "forty-twoth." (That's pronounced like "tooth" you see.) That's another blink. Yes, the past 42 years have gone just that fast. Wow. I didn't really understand it when my dad used to talk like that, but now I can see what he meant.

The burn, unfortunately was/is sunburn. Last week on Tuesday we went to the beach. We went in the late afternoon. Everyone slathered on sunscreen, and the sun was at a low angle at that time, so no one had a problem with sun--or at least not much. Thursday was kayaking day. Kirsten and I and baby Elizabeth stayed on shore while everyone else took turns either kayaking or helping with Elizabeth, and Kate when Kate wasn't kayaking. Kirsten and I were under a big, shady umbrella so we didn't put on sunscreen. Kirsten is fine, but my feet got sunburned. I was wearing salt water sandals and was burned in that pattern. This picture shows how my feet still look today.

I didn't realize my feet were in the sun that day. I also didn't think much about it. I've had sunburn before and it has always turned into a tan in a few days, so far this one hasn't. It's still red and sore and it's been nearly a week. I've used different ointments on it, at least one of which seemed to make it worse. It's been disconcerting and puzzling. Yesterday I asked Dr. Duckwall about it and he told me something very interesting. He said that skin conditions need an abundance of calcium in order to heal. He suggested that I take a lot of calcium lactate to get it into my bloodstream, and also take a supplement called Cataplex F to get it into the tissues. OK. That makes a lot of sense, so last night I started taking calcium lactate and Cataplex F. Hopefully by tomorrow I will notice more of a difference. I think I'm starting to notice a difference today because the milder burn on my legs has been itching--a good sign I suspect.

Several other people got varying amounts of sunburn too--in places where they missed putting on the sunscreen or perhaps didn't put it on thick enough. We decided that we need to get a kind that goes on in some bright color at first so we can make sure we haven't missed any spots!

I plan to post more about the trip in the next day or two.--K

5 comments:

Helena said...

Yeowch! Yeah, my foot still looks like that, too. Just the one. I am lopsided.

Helena said...

Oh yes, happy anniversary!

Mamapierce said...

Happy Anniversary! I hope your sunburn heals QUICKLY! Did you try aloe vera?

Anonymous said...

I still have funny looking spots all over my legs from putting on my sunscreen so enevenly, but my right shin finally started to peel today, so I guess I won't be doomed to look like a leopard for the rest of the summer. Kayaking sure was fun, as was the whole trip. It was great to have everyone together.

Peter Ahlstrom said...

My knee is still red, but it stopped hurting a couple days ago.

Oh, and I finished my book project last night. Whew.