Tuesday, August 12, 2008

THE REST OF THE WEEK--Trip Part 4

IN WHICH THE FAMILY GOES KAYAKING
Thursday morning was spent kayaking. The kayaks were a very safe, flat-bottom design, which I was glad to see. I'd only heard about the other kind that tips over easily but there was no problem with these. I had thought we would be on a beach with a clear view of the water, but we turned out to be in a marina instead. Access to the kayaks was from a low platform that was right on the water. Kirsten and I and baby Elizabeth stayed on shore while others took turns either kayaking or caring for Elizabeth. Someone gave me this neat cap to wear. I thought it was kinda cute. I like Elizabeth's hat too, and how about those striped socks!
Everyone paddled around the marina for awhile before heading farther out. Helena has lots of excellent kayaking pictures on her blog, if you would like to see more. I think Peter may have been trying to get Elizabeth's attention here. Unfortunately there was a period of time when everyone paddled farther out, and we could no longer see anyone. Fortunately, part of the time, the friendly neighborhood sea lions at least pretended to be awake so they could be interesting to watch. :)
The sea lions weren't the only sleepy ones that day. Kate thought her ride was very relaxing. Something that impressed me was the number of blue flowers that I saw while we were in California this time. They were all over the place. Not only were the jacaranda trees blooming, but there were lots of these flowers as well.
SUDDENLY IT'S FRIDAY
It was hard to believe that the week was quickly drawing to a close.

Karen came to the hotel to visit everyone Friday morning. Her sweet grandfather, Jesse Stay passed away earlier in the week and services were to be on Saturday. (To read Karen's special tribute to her grandfather, please click here.) Her extended family had arrived from out of town and were at her grandparent's house, so Karen planned to spend the day with them. She wanted to say good-bye and to get some pictures to add to her "people who love Elizabeth" collection. Here are a few examples.

This really cute picture of Elizabeth and Grandpa was taken in the hotel courtyard by the swimming pool.

Here is Elizabeth with Aunt Helena.

I was so glad that Karen and Elizabeth were able to come that day. It meant a lot to me to spend a few extra minutes with both of them. Indeed, it was hard to say good-bye, and a part of my heart stayed with them.

During the week I spent several mornings watching Kate and Doug in the hotel pool. A toy butterfly, that Kate named Mariposa, helped her gain confidence about getting in the water.She eventually got in, but wanted her daddy to stand up pretty tall so she wouldn't go in too deep. By Friday morning she was much braver. Helena said it carried over when she got home as well. Last year she didn't want to get in a pool at all, but this year she's loving it. YAY Kate.!

Friday afternoon we went bowling. (We were glad that California has a no smoking policy in public places. We checked on that before we went).

We had three lanes. Kirsten and Kate had a lane to themselves. They used bumpers and a ramp so the ball stayed on the lane, and had a reasonable chance of rolling straight. It was great fun watching them. Here's Kate getting some help from her dad.
Kirsten needed help from her dad at first, but really enjoyed it once she got started. Here's a shot of some of our group. Helena, Doug and Peter are in the background. Barbie and Betsey are waiting while Kyle takes his turn
Nobody was competing, but Betsey had the highest score with 178. Everyone had a great time. Kyle said it was his favorite part of the trip. We'll have to remember that next time we get together!
Back at Peter and Karen's house, Betsey and Barb curled up on the floor for a Sisterly Chat.
Aren't they cute?

HOMEWARD BOUND
Everyone went their separate ways on Saturday, June 21. It was still amazing to me how short a flight can be when you bury yourself in a good book. Again I was greatly entertained by author Beverly Lewis as I devoured The Revelation which is the last volume in the Abram's Daughters series.

Fortunately I did take a break now and then to look out the window. Again I could actually see out of the window. ^o^ As I gazed out on the landscape below I was glad to be going home to familiar surroundings, where there are more green trees than there are cars, but I also had very poignant feelings about those dear ones we won't see for awhile. Hopefully next summer we'll get together again so everyone can meet the new babies who will soon be arriving.

Later, as I looked out again, I realized that the clouds around us were turning color, and so was the sky. A river below us was winding through fields that were no longer green, but had taken on an almost brassy appearance. Suddenly we were flying through pink cotton candy! I smiled with the realization that for just a minute or two we were part of a sunset. It was a sweet finishing touch to a special week.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great record of the vacation. Thanks for taking such effort to put this together.

The blue flowers are called agapanthus. Unfortunately, they don't survive cold winters. I enjoyed seeing them all over too. They also come in white.

I love the pictures of Betsey and me on the floor--how cute. I hadn't seen those yet.

It really was a great trip.

Anonymous said...

Kathy, Thank you for the update on the family and all the beautiful pictures. Since I have not had a vacation for a while this really helped. My online getaway with the Ahlstroms.

Blessing to you and your beautiful family.

Carol

Anonymous said...

That was wonderful..thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Kathey -

I had fun reading your blog and looking at your pictures. I especially loved
seeing the pictures of your garden. Just beautiful!

And I'm so glad you had such a wonderful vacation with your whole family.

If you have it, will you send me the Greenwood's new contact information? I
would would love to get back in touch with them.

We miss you, Jim, and Kirsten, so it's nice to get to see you on your blog.

Much love -
Rainey

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog. I thoroughly enjoyed it and got to know your family a bit better including Angie I believe she was, 14, and didn't look a day over 29 (in dog years). Thanks for sharing. - Grant

Anonymous said...

Kathy, what a beautiful family you have! Elizabeth is such a beautiful
child. She has such a loving spirit that comes through her photos.
Your trip must have been wonderful. You look so happy and content. Even
if the trip was difficult I'm sure you will always remember such an
opportunity to have your family together. These come further apart it seems
as we get older.
Love,
Donna