Monday, October 20, 2008

CONFESSIONS OF A STUBBORN WIMP

I am such a wimp when it comes to being c-c-cold, but I'll be darned if I'm going to turn on the furnace. You see, I have this insane game that I play every fall. It's called "Can You Wait Until November First To Turn On The Heat In The House?" Even with a built-in humidifier the air dries out once the furnace is turned on, so I like to put it off as long as I can. (My eyes are already dry enough and they don't need the furnace to further complicate matters!)

I actually did make it to November first once, but I usually don't make it that far even though our house is very well insulated and holds the heat well. If the weather is co-operative and we get some solar heating during the day, it usually feels quite pleasant in here. The problem is that this morning it got down to 33 degrees outside. I don't know what it is in here right now. Actually I do--sort of. The thermostat says 68 degrees, but said thermostat is in the warmest part of the house. It's on a nice cozy inner wall in the center of the house, surrounded by heated rooms.

I would love to know the temperature of our bedroom, for instance. It is not on a cozy inner wall surrounded by heated rooms. Our bedroom is on the southwest corner of our house with two (count them) outside walls that are not surrounded by anything let alone anything having to do with heat! (play martyr music please).

In our part of Ohio the wind comes sweepin' down the plains clear from Oklahoma, or Indiana, or Idaho or someplace. (BTW have you ever noticed how many people get Idaho and Ohio confused? Completely irrelevant, but that makes it more fun.) I think Jim is going to buy some sort of cheap thermometer so I can document my complaints at least once before I wimp out. I'm sure it gets down to 46 degrees in that thar room, but it's probably more like 64. (I would not have made a very good pioneer.) So until that thermometer comes I will just put on an extra sweater, and come up with something else to think about.

The insane thing is that from one year to the next I never remember how long I made it the year before anyway, so you see, it really doesn't matter does it? ^-^

2 comments:

Karen Ahlstrom said...

Iowa also gets mixed up in there too. I think it's all the vowels.

Kathey said...

Yup, I forgot about Iowa--her too.