Thursday, January 29, 2009

BABIES, BIRDS and SNOW!

THREE BABIES AND A BIG SISTER
I thought it would be fun to give some updates on the grandchildren. Andy, Helena's newest addition, is three weeks old here. He looks as if he has something very important to say.Hazel is the next oldest. She belongs to Barbie and Kyle, and is now almost 3 1/2 months old.
Here's Hazel again. She loves her bouncy seat.
Peter and Karen's daughter, Elizabeth is now one year old. Yay, Elizabeth! One of her favorite Christmas toys was her Fisher-Price Nativity Set.
Elizabeth as a sweet little Santa.
This picture of Elizabeth was taken a few months ago, but it's a favorite, so I just had to include it here. ^o^And then comes Kate. Helena and Doug's oldest just turned 4. She got a baby brother for her birthday, right on her birthday. Of all the pictures of Kate and Andy that Helena has on her blog, this is my favorite: Helena said: Monday was Kate's four-year checkup and shots. They had us fill out a sheet of developmental questions--physical and cognitive stuff. Some of Kate's answers were a real hoot. One section had questions like, "What do you do when you're hungry?" ("Eat food!") and "What do you do when you're tired?" ("Go to bed!") But for "What do you do when you're cold?" she said, "Play in the snow!" Ha. There was also a section of defining words. I remember her explanation of "curtain" was "You open and close it to see the sun and the sky and the whole world!" and for "banana" she said, "It looks like a moon and you eat in your oatmeal."
Way to Go, KATE!

BIRDS * BIRDS * AND MORE BIRDS

We have had a lot of feathered visitors at our bird feeder lately. I
took these pictures through our back window. Some of our
Square-Foot Garden boxes show in the background.
I really like woodpeckers. As far as I know we have only one pair that visits our yard.
I also really like the cardinals. Currently there seem to be three pairs of them that come to our backyard restaurant . Usually they feed on the ground under the feeder, but occasionally they will come to the feeder itself. When they do, it's usually at the bottom like the one shown here.
The next picture shows one of the female cardinals landing on the feeder along with some house finches.
This is my favorite cardinal picture so far.

And So IT SNOWS!

We had snow on the ground, but then the weather decided to change a bit yesterday and give us sleet for about 6 hours. After that it snowed much of the day. This is what we saw out our back window. There is quite a bit of snow accumulation on top of the bird feeder.
The world was closed yesterday (over 500 closings were listed on TV), so Jim and Kirsten were both home. Jim went out to clear the sidewalk and found an inch of ice under 6 inches of snow. Other areas got as much as 12 inches. It took Jim over an hour to scrape the ice off the car windows even with the heater going.

We have a fair number of icicles, and tree branches are coated with ice.
Towards twilight I noticed a bright patch in the sky, and thought it would make a cool picture.

This is my favorite picture of all.

14 comments:

Mamapierce said...

Great pictures! Your grandchildren are adorable. :o)

Unknown said...

I loved the pictures, and agree on the one of Kate and Andy. Wish I could be there to enjoy the snow. I had thought that I would get my fill after a couple of weeks, but did not.

Anonymous said...

Your family is really growing. I liked the one of the "bump." It looked to me like that bump was so low it was about to fall out. Perhaps that's the advantage of being really tall--lots of kicking space. I remember Danita moved my rib cage out an inch or two and it has never gone back... Very much worth it... That Danita celebrated her 45th birthday this last week and Lael J was 44 the week before. Time does fly.

Thanks for sharing. Mary

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures and the update.

Kathy M.

Barbie Mills said...

Great post, Mom! I was impressed in the bird pictures that the garden boxes look SO CLOSE to the birdfeeder! That must have been just the right angle.

I'm glad people in Ohio are smart and know to close stuff when the weather is especially bad. I haven't had a snow day once since moving to Utah. I guess we do get a little less ice, though.

Anonymous said...

Hi K

The grandkids are ADORABLE -- all of them! I just want to pick them up and eat 'em, don't you?

Darling picture of big sister holding baby brother.

Great pix of that cardinal -- WOW!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful family. Lovely lovely babies.

Anonymous said...

Took a tad longer this morning to get your blog to connect for some reason. Guess that it just keeps growing and growing! Enjoyed the pictures of the crew. Seems that Andy has inherited his grandfather's hair line as well as his Uncle Peters! Our son, Ole, also has a similar hairline. I tell him that he looks much like my Grandfather Fred Ahlstrom. My dad had hair, I have hair, Sally's dad had hair, and my mom's dad had hair (red at that, I'm told) so what happened to the theory that the hair line for the son comes from the mother's family? So goes the theory of genetics on hair lines.

I have always felt that the Ahlstrom clan had superior intelligence, but when I see the pictures of all that snow, ice icicles, and hear of your fettishment about the heater, I begin to wonder? Doesn't the road from your area go west? Just because you have lived in that climate much of your life, does it mean that you have to stay there just because it is familiar? They say that you can learn to live with a hemorrhoid, but who wants to? Sorry about that. We have had freezing fog much of the time since we returned from our aborted trip south. Not enjoyed by me, but at least it often clears up during the afternoon and the temperature got warm enough the other day that I put the top down on the Miata for a bit! If all else fails, we have hills that we can drive up on that overlooks the fog and it is really beautiful with the sun shining on the sea of white below!

Cute kids and good shots of the birds! Thanks! John

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the blog and the picture updates - including the birds but especially the precious children. Thanks for sharing.

Love, Grant and Laurelle

Peter Ahlstrom said...

Are there any convenient pictures of Fred Oscar Ahlstrom? I want to know who I should blame.

I have to say I really like the weather here in California. I turned on the air conditioner yesterday because it got up to 78 in the house and I wanted it to get down to 76.

Tonight we went to a Christmas tree bonfire on the beach. Elizabeth enjoyed it except when the fire was too bright and hot, which happened rather regularly after we threw on a fresh Christmas tree—or rather, a thoroughly dried out fire hazard on a wooden stand.

Kathey said...

Hi Peter,

Well, in your case it proved true that the baldness is passed through the mother. My dad was very bald. Your hair pattern isn't exactly the same as his, at least not yet, but it's close. Sorry.

Hopefully you love me anyway. ^o^

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I loved your new blog updates! You have a beautiful family and I hope they bring great joy to your heart. Thanks for sharing updates and pictures. It was so fun to see everyone you hold most dear.

Love, Kristine

Barbie Mills said...

Cousin John's post was quie funny. If is wasn't for teh horrible winter air quality, I'd want you to move here, but I guess you'd still get icicles.

Anonymous said...

Kathey,

WOW! I'm impressed! I clicked on your blog and looked at every single picture...didn't read every single word...but enough to get the gist of who is who. You have a beautiful talented family and are fortunate to have those bright-eyed grand children.

You look like you were having a great time. Thanks for sharing.

Frances