Friday, March 14, 2008

7 Random Things About Me

Way back on March 6, I was tagged by Jill to list 7 random things about myself. Then I'm supposed to tag seven people to do the same. Well, I don't know of 7 people who have the kind of blog in which this type of thing would fit. I'll tag a few at the end, but Hey ladies, just do it if it works for you.

MY SEVEN RANDOM THINGS:

• I think oatmeal is slimy. The most redeemable quality of oatmeal is its ability to be used in chocolate chip cookies. Another is using it in home-made granola. (Someday I'll share my oatmeal dissertation.) (btw--raisins are never an acceptable substitute for chocolate chips.)

• I feel better and my day goes much better if I'm up by 6:00.

• I think people ought to be able to fly. Wouldn’t that be fun? "Lifter" is a favorite book.

• I can lift one eyebrow at a time, and can alternate them quickly. I practiced really hard to learn this when I was in 6th grade and saw Vincent Zamis (who was in my class) do it. If he could do it, so could I.

• I have a stubborn streak. That eyebrow thing shows it.

• I can wiggle my ears, but not independently.

• I am a bit paranoid about making sure all our bills are paid. It’s too easy for one to get lost if it’s not taken care of right away. I’ve designed a quarterly worksheet that has spots for making notations about all our monthly bills, and tithing. I can jot down the amount and the date paid, so it’s really easy to keep track. This also helps me to be on the alert if a bill amount suddenly changes. Tithing is at the top of the list. There are also spots for savings, and freedom fund so I don’t forget those either.

Before we went to California I could tell by looking at the worksheet that our Vectren bill was already two days past when I ordinarily pay it. I didn’t know if it had gotten lost in the mail, or if I might have misplaced it. I called and paid it over the phone the day before we left, so I didn’t have to worry about it.

I am even more paranoid about paying our utility bills after hearing an electric company horror story. A friend of ours from church suffered a heart attack while in Indiana. He was critically ill. Things were touch and go for quite some time. He finally had surgery and went to his daughter’s house (also in Indiana) to recuperate. During all the hubbub the daughter forgot to pay her electric bill. She had paid it on time for 15 years, but the company cut off her power when the bill became one month late. This was December, and it was COLD outside, and her dad was still quite ill. Even though the daughter explained the circumstances they charged her a $500 reconnection fee because they no longer trust her. AAArrrggghhh

I now tag Helena, Karen, Liz C., Connie C., and Allyson to blog about 7 random things about YOU!

5 comments:

Helena said...

I've already done this one! Well, mine was eight things. I'll think about it.

Anonymous said...

These are fun. Another random thing about you is that you charged us a $2 nuisance fee for having to drive us to school when we missed the bus. I've mentioned that to my classes a couple of times, and they all think it's "So not fair!" but I tell them I think it's awesome and I plan to do it with my children. =) I sure learned not to miss the bus.

Mamapierce said...

Wow, I'll make sure we get our bills paid on time!! That must have been really rough.

Karen Ahlstrom said...

Ok I did it!
Look here

-Karen

Sepp said...

very fun. I promise I will get 7 things up, I just have to finish doing a bunch of stuff for one of Will's many presentations.