Saturday, March 8, 2008

Quite a Storm

We're having a blizzard, but at least it's a quiet one. During "The Blizzard of '78" I remember being jolted awake at 4:00 in the morning with the windows rattling and the wind HOWLING outside and being terrified that it would be coming inside at any minute. We later learned that the gusts got up to 70 mph. That was scary. This is just cold and inconvenient by comparison. It snowed all day yesterday but the flakes were small and still are, and the wind isn't very strong. It's only about 12 mph right now with gusts up to 21. The forecast is for 5 to 8 inches of accumulation during the day. I don't know how much we got yesterday. We do have a drift right by our front door.

Angie, our little yellow dog, had an interesting time when she first went out this morning. The snow was up to her chest and was so deep that she was afraid to come back up the stairs because she couldn't see where they were. Fortunately with a little enthusiastic encouragement from me she bravely bounded up the stairs and into the house. I was glad I didn't have to wake Jim or Betsey up to go get her. (I wasn't about to go get her myself!)

12:00 Noon: Our deck has more than a foot of snow on it. Betsey shoveled a path for Angie to get across the deck, down the stairs and out into the yard. As soon as Angie got down off the deck she left the path and started bounding through the snow. She tried to walk but had to get around by leaping. Jim shoveled a path to the bird feeder.

This morning Jim gave Kirsten and me haircuts, and he's hoping to work on taxes today. I say hoping because shoveling will take awhile. I'm playing catchup on bills and paperwork. I'm grateful for our cozy home.

Well at 4:30 the sun came out, and it's gorgeous. We also got a call right about then that church is canceled for tomorrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It sounds so pretty up there, especially with it being a soft storm. I do miss it sometimes, but then Florida is quite nice as well.

I have a friend here that is from the northwest. She says, "There is no such thing as bad weather, just poor clothing choices."